These traits are simply as spectacular to search out in an elite RB as back-to-back 2,000-yard seasons and a ten.7 time within the 100 meters.
It’s much more unusual to study of how Auburn dedication Jeremiah Cobb of Montgomery Catholic in Alabama checks off all of these bins.
The 4-star RB prospect obtained a suggestion from Georgia final week. That was newsworthy given the ‘Dawgs want to signal the fitting two backs on this class.
There was a Halloween-candy-sized bowl of names tossed about as potential mid-season RB affords for the ‘Dawgs, however he acquired the supply.
Cobb can be already a marquee title on the visitor checklist for this week’s epic No. 1 vs. No. 2 SEC East showdown with Tennessee. When DawgNation spoke to the Auburn commit lately there have been an awesome many issues that stood out, together with the next:
- Regardless of 4,176 yards and 48 touchdowns in his final two full seasons, the perfect ability set trait is catching the ball out of the backfield.
- We realized about how a lot he cares for and watches over his youthful sister. She is a junior and a wonderful monitor athlete in her personal proper.
- We realized of how a rival fan base taunted him and his sister within the playoffs final yr, their barbs included the warning he wouldn’t make it out of the primary quarter. When his MCA aspect rolled to a win and he piled up one other monster sport, he had his personal model of “Say Much less” in the case of not stooping to the extent of a rival fan base’s trash speak.
- “He doesn’t speak a variety of social media however on the finish of the sport he had like 225 speeding yards and three touchdowns,” MCA head coach Kirk Johnson mentioned. “After the sport he put an image up that mentioned I made it out of the primary quarter with a smile. I believed that was type of cool contemplating he’s the kind of individual that by no means does stuff like that.”
- DawgNation realized from the MCA employees that Cobb was timed at 4.42 seconds within the 40 as a sophomore. That was at an Alabama camp. The intel was additionally shared that he has been clocked at 10.7 within the 100 meters.
- These instruments sound like they match the Todd Monken system-friendly RB profile of James Prepare dinner. But as Johnson was searching for the fitting participant parallel, he introduced up one other Prepare dinner. “I’ve seen the comparisons to love the title Dalvin Prepare dinner and I feel that’s type of an correct comparability,” Johnson mentioned. “You’ll be able to make the most of his pace in any type of means you need. Whether or not it’s line him up at receiver and hand it to him out of the backfield. It’s onerous for a linebacker to match up with him and it’s onerous for a security to return down and sort out him.”
- Cobb has rolled for five,438 speeding yards and 67 touchdowns since his sophomore yr started. That’s whereas averaging 10.3 yards per carry. That’s whereas hardly ever enjoying midway into the third quarter for a workforce that has a 35-4 document. They’re now ranked because the No. 1 workforce in Alabama Class 4A.
- “He has nice pace however the second a part of his pace is it makes him run with a really livid energy,” Johnson mentioned. “He’s solely 195 however he runs like he’s 250. He’s onerous to carry down. He’s at all times acquired his legs shifting and he’s a wise child. He is aware of when to chop and when to bounce and when to attempt to run over a man and so forth. That helps your longevity enjoying the working again place.”
- His highschool workforce hasn’t been examined within the fourth quarter in 10 video games. Their 2021 and 2022 outcomes embody two wins by 20-plus, 4 wins by 30-plus, six wins by 40-plus, eight wins by 50-plus and two wins by 60-plus.
- When Cobb mentioned this, it made a variety of sense in that context: “My favourite a part of the sport is once you play a tough sport and also you truly need to lock in and play. You see all people come collectively and attempt to deal with adversity throughout that point of the sport. Dealing with that adversity. Assembly that problem. That’s my favourite a part of the entire sport.”
- Let’s be clear on this: We’re not evaluating gamers, however we’re utilizing the manufacturing customary set by 5-star Georgia legacy Justice Haynes. Haynes has been capable of pile up 5,208 yards and 67 touchdowns for the reason that 2020 season. The Alabama dedication has racked up these yards on a mean of 9.4 yards per carry. Haynes has been a prolific again and for Cobb’s totals to match to his manufacturing is saying one thing. Cobb wanted 521 carries to stack up his complete in comparison with 554 for Haynes. (Haynes additionally had 205 carries in his freshman season in comparison with 41 for Cobb.)
Did you know the weekly DawgNation.com “Before the Hedges” program is available as an Apple podcast? Click to check it out and download it.
Jeremiah Cobb: Essentially the most spectacular factor to find out about this RB
There’s a variety of standout materials to share right here, however we maintain coming again to what the 5-foot-11 and 195-pound senior mentioned about what his Auburn dedication has meant to him.
Cobb, like most Auburn commitments, has been in a troublesome spot questioning when the symbolic guillotine was going to return down on the job standing of the coach he dedicated to.
That didn’t matter to him one bit. He made a dedication and that was that.
What stored him dedicated to Auburn via all of that uncertainty? He mentioned final week it was his place coach Cadillac Williams. Williams, an all-time nice SEC again, is now the interim head coach at Auburn.
“Positively Coach Cadillac,” Cobb mentioned. “Then the recruiting employees up there’s actually superior. It simply actually seems like house with the ambiance there each time I am going up there to go to and see the college.”
He mentioned if the employees stayed in place, his dedication to Auburn was strong.
“If the teaching employees stays I’ll positively keep at Auburn,” he mentioned. “And positively if Coach Cadillac stays, I’ll positively nonetheless take into account staying even when they get a brand new head coach and all of that.”
Why did Georgia working backs coach Dell McGee lastly supply?
“He mentioned he liked the way in which I run the ball and that he wanted one other again like me,” Cobb mentioned. “That may run and make performs exterior the backfield and is quick and might catch the ball and make performs.”
Jeremiah Cobb: How does he really feel concerning the ‘Dawgs?
Cobb did try Georgia throughout the spring. The “Dawgs even made his high six colleges checklist regardless that they’d but to supply.
“They made that high six as a result of I liked up and liked being up there after I went up there,” Cobb mentioned. “It felt like a spot the place I may name house. I used to be simply going to indicate them that I used to be curious about them after that go to by doing that.”
When he visited Georgia, he was impressed by the way in which the workforce ran its practices and the way their backs labored so onerous in each drill.
He mentioned it could have made his July resolution to commit “even more durable” if he had a Georgia supply to consider when he dedicated to Auburn in July.
What was the explanation why Georgia lastly provided?
“He hadn’t been there,” Montgomery Catholic head coach Kirk Johnson mentioned. “He hadn’t labored out for coach [Dell] McGee but. Coach McGee had but to see him carry out. He lastly acquired a chance the place he may come see Jeremiah play and naturally, he appreciated what he noticed.
Cobb had 277 approximate all-purpose yards in that contest. That included 200 yards in receptions.
“Jeremiah had a fairly good sport and confirmed he may play at that stage and that he may play early,” Johnson mentioned. “That’s one other factor Coach McGee needed to search out out about him.”
The senior RB is a possible enterprise or train science main. What did he make of Athens on that journey?
“It was very enjoyable and thrilling,” he mentioned. “Attending to see all the great issues and amenities that Georgia has to supply. Then hanging out with Coach Dell. It was actual enjoyable.”
What did that supply imply to him?
“It was simply one other supply that I’m very blessed to have,” he mentioned. “Very blessed to have it. It was simply one other supply for me to look again upon if something goes fallacious with Auburn.”
He was clear to notice he noticed the Georgia supply as a backup plan if something went fallacious with Auburn. And now it has. That makes this weekend’s go to all of the extra intriguing.
What does he like finest concerning the ‘Dawgs?
“Positively it simply being a high faculty and an awesome program with nice coaches,” Cobb mentioned. “Very profitable gamers that go on to the league. Coach Dell has been speaking to me day-after-day. He’s been sending me quotes within the morning. He’s actual enjoyable to be round. He’s been very shut and he’s been saying he’ll keep on me at Georgia and make me an excellent higher again.”
Take a look at this run final fall in opposition to Dadeville beneath. It pops up on the 20-second mark of this sport spotlight video.
If you happen to watch one clip of what Cobb will be within the SEC, then this could be it. He makes not less than six defenders miss on this eventual explosive scoring run.
“I simply made like their complete workforce miss,” he mentioned. “I feel I simply made play there.”
Have you subscribed to the DawgNation YouTube channel yet? If so, you will be able to see special 1-on-1 content with 2023 commits CJ Allen, AJ Harris and Jamaal Jarrett.
Jeremiah Cobb: Just a few different issues to know
Cobb won’t ever be a fear on the grades checklist. He’s a 3.3 pupil within the classroom. MCA doesn’t enable its student-athletes to graduate early. He might be a Might/June graduate.
He wears the No. 23. That’s due to a love he shares together with his father for NBA all-time nice Michael Jordan.
He’s not a pissed off basketball participant like a variety of offensive playmakers. Cobb received’t be that man within the SEC locker room saying he’d be on his solution to the league if he was 5 – 6 inches taller.
“Heck no,” he mentioned. “I can’t play basketball in any respect. That’s most likely the one sport I can’t do.”
The humility there checks out with a variety of the standout issues his head coach needed to say about him.
If the Auburn soccer employees started to splinter, then the Bulldogs would change into a giant choice. That was the way in which to take a look at this resolution final week.
Georgia is the nationwide champion. The nation’s top-ranked workforce has a sterling working again pipeline of sending its big-play backs to the NFL.
He had to take a look at them. That’s what Johnson mentioned was necessary to know right here.
“Sure, sir,” Cobb mentioned. “He couldn’t have defined it even higher than that.”
Cobb may very well be an awesome match. The explanation he performs the sport additionally matches into the tradition in place in Athens.
“I simply positively play soccer as a result of I adore it,” Cobb mentioned. “I like the way it turns you into a person. It helps your work ethic and makes you probably did down deep inside to search out out who you actually are.”
He likes to run the counter and inside zone. These performs have powered him to roughly 5 300-yard video games in his prep profession.
“His final two years he hasn’t performed within the second half like 3 times as a result of we’ve got blown lots of people out,” Johnson mentioned.
Based on Johnson, his finest sport wouldn’t showcase Cobb closing in on a profession evening in yards.
“His finest video games to me are him sitting down within the third quarter and never being harm as a result of we’ve blown the opposite workforce out,” his coach mentioned. “That’s sport for me.”
There are some things that he needs folks to note after they watch him on movie.
“I hope they see how affected person I’m and anticipate a gap to open up and anticipate a crease or something,” Cobb mentioned. “I would like them to see how I wait to see a gap open up and anticipate a crease or something. I would like them to see how easy I attempt to run and run with nice imaginative and prescient.”
(test on the current reads on DawgNation.com)
Leave a Reply